Thursday, November 20, 2008

10,000 hour rule or how I quit swim team with fancy author logic



So Malcom Gladwell's (Tipping Point, Blink) new book came out telling us that to master something you need to spend 10,000 hours doing it to become great.

He used examples of great atheletes, musicians and scientists. To really get somewhere you need to put in 10k hours. Lucas only had about 5 hours a week to put in over a year. He was swimming and trying hard. However, Lucas was not self actualizing in swim team. I did the swim team thing and was pretty good. My dreams of my son taking the torch and becoming the next Michael Phelps? oh well....


You. Can't. Compare. Swimming. To. A. Good. Day. Surfing.

I guess if I could have surfed as well as Lucas when I was 13 I wouldn't have been so happy posing in my bikini in 9th grade.









Here is the last good wave of Autum for Lucas. Our next contest is December 13 at Moonlight.

2 comments:

Kid said...

Oh my.....Quien es mas macho?! This is super bribe material for the Cactus Wall clan!

Proud Father and Surfer said...

Only Ricardo Mantalban knows for sure