Monday, August 17, 2009

Regarding Quivers






I went to my old college roomates house last week. He is a bicycle guy. He competed a the highest level back in the day. We went to his garage and he tentatively showed us all of his bikes. He must of had about 8. He had all kinds of excuses and stories about why he needed each bike. It was funny because Lucas looked at me like 'only 8?'. He sent me this video of the ultra bike geek:


But I had to let him off the hook. I sent him pictures of the surfboards we had less Logan's board (he was surfing) and Lucas' beach back Donald Takayama. It's true we have no less than 16 surfboards. And I still think I need another board for the winter.

No I haven't mastered the 'Big Red' masterpiece from Murphy.

But, I won't apologize. Every board has it's place or sentimental value. I spent good times with these boards and each time I give one up I feel a loss. Silly yes. Will I change and bring the mean number of boards down.......

Never!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree that every board has its place and purpose; though seems like at a certain number it becomes consumption for its own sake. i only have 2 boards, including one I've had for 20 years that I never ride. I probably will by a new thruster soon and maybe a longboard or fun-shape for days like, well, what we have been seeing lately (1-3 foot perfect shape with no power). after that, unless i become a professional surfer, which is not going to happen, it doesn't seem like i need any more, unless i break the ones i have.

of course, if all of your boards are made of bio-degradeable materials (eg, wood), then I guess it is not as bad as foam and fiberglass or an epoxy (ick) pop-out.

later. love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I have 7 boards and one that dates back to 1977. My wife gets mad when I get a new board but it is part of the culture. I won't give em up either!