Wednesday, September 2, 2009

“The Doer Alone Learneth.” - Friedrich Nietzsche




Fred


School started for High School and Middle School this week. The kids think that they have lost the battle of Time v Summer. Not even close. They won long ago when surfing became something you can do with a small inconvenience of homework.

We live near the beach. I have some simple rules for the pursuit of happiness. Keep your grades up and surf you will. Our sport has been gentrified into a respectable extracurricular activity. I am for it.

However the perfection of looking back shows me how much I missed. When I was a teen trying to be cool and having only surfing to talk and think about. There was a whole world I missed.

If I had a do over I would take the time to enjoy school. Learn something, join silly clubs, make friends with interesting (not always cool) people. Debate government policy and challenge math problems in textbooks that are wrong with great fervor. I would read all of the classics and even try to understand the science of the ocean I spent so much of my life on top of.

Time is on their side. They have High School and College, they are ahead in a race running in real time..... don't pause

But Fred is right it's up to them........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

surf P.E. there is a class for you