

With St. Patrick's day approaching I had some drinking thoughts.
First check out the award winning Guinness Ad
Kinda cool in an anglo saxon gladiator way.....
Kinda cool in an anglo saxon gladiator way.....
So my best College drinking buddy Todd just friended me with the Facebook thing. That is cool and makes me want to go to an 80's happy hour with my power suit and expense report (sans hang over)
Right after college I was the Guinness Rep and most popular college friend in the universe. Todd and I would live for Friday night happy hours throughout those days. See my college jobs post for the very important drinking information.
One summer day while going to SDSU with my minor in Pub Consumption, I got invited to a surf contest at Stone Steps. This was not your polictially correct contest.

It was packed with people hammered. The deal was you had to drink a quarter 'bucket of beer' before each heat and as you progressed the quarter seemed to get bigger. I think I made it through 5 heats. (I was preparing for a professional career).

This was my first foray to Leucadia before moving here in 1993 and my last until then. It was fun and funny. I want to say it was 81 when I was invited. And found myself a very poor quality surfer after some beers.
I found some pictures on line.

7 comments:
That is great stuff. If you tried to hold that contest now, someone would call the riot police. Shame.
I surfed in that contest in 1978. You had to bring the kegs down to the beach and there were 100s of people. No cops or people complaimed but ya if they tried it now everyone would be in jail.
The economy is not supposed to improve for another two years. I better go out and get some more beers.
I remember those daze when you BASS us all out on Friday afternoon. Bless you exepense accounts and your previous learning experiences!
Cool commercial. That commercial ran in England in 2000. It was a big deal and they would show it in the theatre before pictures. that was before they ever did commercials when you went to the theatre.
Thanks Linda, I worked hard at my minor. Education is the key to success. I did however think I would do better at this contest. It was like the Cheers episode when Cliff Clavin was on and given the categories: Civil Servants, Stamps from Around the World, Mothers and Sons, Beer, Bar Trivia, and Celibacy.
Beer and Surfing I should have Won!
To Anonymous 3,
The Guinness Surfer ad was voted best television commercial of all times by 'The Sunday Times' and helped them won a Clio Award in 2000
Post a Comment